Sunday, April 10, 2011

Blog Post 11



Ms. Cassidy’s, Little Kid’s…Big Potential, validates the current research regarding technology and child development. Findings from the American Academy of Pediatrics conclude that “computer use enhances children’s fine motor skills, alphabet recognition, concept learning, numerical recognition, counting skills and pre-mathematical knowledge, cognitive development, and self-esteem or self-concept.”

Her 1st graders say it best, “We LIKE to write on our blogs” “My blogs help me WRITE better.” “I can SEE and SPELL my words better.” “We PLAN our videos in groups to show what we have learned.” “We use our webpage to help us FIND things.” “The pictures take me places to HELP ME LEARN.” “I can choose whatever page I need to HELP MYSELF learn.” “Playing the DS helps us be better PROBLEM-SOLVERS and learn to SHARE.”

The comments made by Ms. Cassidy that I wholeheartedly agree with are: “We cannot teach kids in this generation using the tools that worked 20 years ago, 10 years ago, even 5 years ago. We have to change because the world has changed. There are so many opportunities online now for collaborating, for learning from other people. You are handicapping your students and yourself by not taking advantage of those tools. As for not having the time, you will never have more time to learn about technology than you do in college. It does not get better when you have your own classroom. Kids and technology: It’s part of their world. They really like not having to power down when they come to school.”

I was glad to hear an EDM-310 student ask Ms. Cassidy how often her students blog. Her response in general was that blogging assignments are tailored to the class and based upon other opportunities the students may be a part of (computer lab)…but around once a week.

Like Ms. Cassidy, I will teach my students to be “digital citizens.” Internet safety will be a top-priority in my classroom.

I am pro-technology in the classroom. However, I must admit that I was relieved to hear that Ms. Cassidy’s class is not ALL technology, especially at the 1st grade level. Blogs are used in rotation as a center to enrich reading/writing. Skype, netbooks, wikis and interactive white-boards are also used as TOOLS TO ENRICH learning in her class.

Consider the following from childwellbeing.org. “Technology offers the greatest benefit when used for enrichment and as a tool that leads to the development of higher level information-seeking and problem-solving skills, although not at the exclusion of lower-order cognitive skills (i.e., rote learning). When computer access is sufficient and computer technology is employed appropriately, child development is improved. But it has become increasingly clear that learning FROM technology does not hold the same promise as learning WITH technology. Learning with technology to facilitate critical thinking and higher-order learning allows children to use technological tools to analyze the world, access and interpret information, and represent what they know to others. Cognitive tools are learner-centered and controlled, and as such, facilitate learner-centered child development, again positively impacting child well-being.”

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda,
    I like that you added comments from the kids; They really do say it best. I also agree with your relief that Mrs.Cassidy's class is not entirely revolved around technology at a first grade level. I think it's great that her students will be comfortable with technological learning. I also think that grades k-4 is when students really learn about handwriting. So I'm glad that they incorporate both.

    Also I think it's great that she has figured out a way to use nintendo ds's in the classroom. I don't think I've ever used one, but you can barely pull my sister apart from hers. I know she'd be much more excited about learning something if she could do it on her ds!

    Great post and reference! Keep up the great work!
    -AnnMerritt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    Mrs. Cassidy is an excellent teacher, and I love the way in which she incorporates technology into her classroom. You can truly see how her students are learning, and they even express how technology enhances their understanding and gives them better opportunities to explore. I like how you incorporated that Mrs. Cassidy uses technology to enrich the students' learning, and they are learning with technology not from it. As teachers, we do need to learn how to adapt and constantly change our teaching strategies. We need to consistently look for ways to improve and grow as teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, AnnMerritt & Jamie Lynn! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my post. I appreciate your comments and encouragement!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete