Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blog Post 10

Jumping Through Hoops
Dan Brown’s video demonstrates that he is enthusiastic, outspoken, articulate, creative and persuasive. With that said, I couldn’t help thinking as I watched the video…hmmm…he should have stayed in school to become a teacher! Then he could change the world of education from the inside out.

Morgan Bayda’s post and Dan Brown’s video have caused me to think about my experiences as a student. I will admit there are times when I am sitting in class during a lecture or working on assignment and I hear a little voice in my head saying, “Just jump through the hoops, Amanda…you’re getting there…if you don’t learn anything of value from this lecture, at least you’ll know what you DON’T want to do in your classroom…remember this feeling because you’ll want to AVOID this scenario
with your students."

A traditional class can be stimulating if: 1) the teacher encourages conversation and debate 2) in-class assignments/projects foster creativity and collaboration 3) tools of technology are incorporated in instruction 4) lessons are relevant to today and look ahead to tomorrow 5) students are challenged and inspired to have a purpose, to make a difference and 6)…the list goes on and on.*REMEMBER, we are all learning from each other.

Adventures in Pencil Integration

Excellent points in creative “disguise!” So far (to me), this has been one of the most CLEVER blogs we’ve visited. I’ve subscribed!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Wow! You hit the nail on the head with your response to Brown and Bayda! My one complaint about those two videos is just that... They both just seem to be complaining.

    We have ALL had experience with those professors that run a teacher-centered classroom, leaving the students bored and completely unmotivated. But I'm glad to know that your glass is half full, judging by your comment, "I will admit there are times when I am sitting in class during a lecture or working on assignment and I hear a little voice in my head saying, 'Just jump through the hoops, Amanda…you’re getting there…if you don’t learn anything of value from this lecture, at least you’ll know what you DON’T want to do in your classroom…remember this feeling because you’ll want to AVOID this scenario
    with your students.'"

    Hmm... Do you notice a pattern in the above comment? You hit the nail on the head. Your glass is half full. "Just jump through the hoops, Amanda!"

    Metaphors!

    By your response to "Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home," I am unable to tell if you understood the main point of the post (I have a feeling you did though...). So, here's a message from Dr. Strange:

    It seems that you did not understand that Tom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post  Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Allie! I should have elaborated more on my response to John Spencer's (aka, Tom Johnson's) post. When I commented that this was one of the most CLEVER blogs we've visited, it was because of the use of metaphors. I didn't elaborate partly because part of the charm to me in the experience was going along with it and not revealing what really to me was quite evident..."excellent points in clever disguise = metaphors."

    ReplyDelete